BCS provides families with an innovative, empowering and results-oriented choice.
What is the lottery and when will it occur?
If more enrollment packets are submitted for a specific grade level than spots available, then enrollment is determined by lottery. The lottery is a blind, random drawing that is open to the public that is held following the close of the Open Enrollment period. The lottery for the 2017-2018 School Year will be held Saturday, February 11, 2017 at 10:00 AM* at 102 W. Portola Ave. in Los Altos. While parents who submitted enrollment packets for their child(ren) are welcome to attend, it was not required in order for them to be entered into the lottery. Lottery results are mailed to all who submitted enrollment packets prior to the close of Open Enrollment.
When a random drawing is necessary**, the Santa Clara County Office of Education authorized enrollment preferences are applied based on the following hierarchy within each grade level:
1) Siblings of current Bullis Charter School students who reside within the boundaries of the Los Altos School District;
2) For no more than half the total available openings for each grade level, students who reside within the boundaries of the former Bullis-Purissima Elementary School attendance area, as drawn by Los Altos School District in the 2002-2003 school year***, limited as follows:
- For incoming kindergarten classes for the 2017-2018 school year, preference 2 will be limited to 20% of total available openings.
- For incoming kindergarten classes for the 2018-2019 school year, preference 2 will be limited to 10% of total available openings.
- For incoming kindergarten classes for the 2019-2020 school year, there will be no preference for this category.
3) Children of BCS staff members who reside within the boundaries of the Los Altos School District.
4) Children who reside within the boundaries of the Los Altos School District;
5) Siblings of current Bullis Charter School students who reside outside the boundaries of the Los Altos School District but within California.
6) Children of BCS staff members who reside outside the boundaries of the Los Altos School District but within California.
7) All other applicants who reside within California.
*The enrollment lottery for the 2016-2017 School Year was held on Saturday, February 6, 2016.
**Families who submit enrollment forms are notified by mail of the date and time of the lottery.
***For a copy of the 2002-2003 District boundary map, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
I want my child to finish his/her current school year without any distractions. Will my child’s name be kept confidential?
Yes. All information submitted through the enrollment process will be kept confidential to the full extent allowed by law. We will not release your child’s name without your consent unless they are accepted for admission to BCS. If your child is accepted to attend BCS for the coming year, we may be required to confidentially share their name with the Los Altos School District after the end of the current school year so the District can plan for their classes.
If I enroll my child at BCS, can I change my mind?
Yes. Filling out and returning an acceptance packet does not commit you to a decision. If for any reason your plans change and you no longer wish to enroll your child at BCS, please let us know as soon as possible so that we can offer your child’s place to another interested student.
When do I need to submit my child’s proof of immunizations?
Effective July 1, 2016, California law requires that proof of immunizations be submitted before a child is allowed to attend school. Please also note that a physical exam must be done no earlier than 18 months before entering 1st grade (for example, if you have an incoming kindergartener, you would schedule your exam for mid-February or later).
What is the cutoff date for Kindergarten?
To be eligible for Kindergarten for the 2017-2018 school year, your child’s 5th birthdate must be no later than September 1, 2017.
How does the Transitional Kindergarten (TK) program work at BCS?
If your child qualifies for Transitional Kindergarten at BCS, his/her registration will be placed and drawn with the Kindergarten registrations during the enrollment lottery. The TK students will be placed in Kindergarten classrooms as appropriate, but they will follow a modified curriculum that will be supported by his/her Focused Learning Goals.
What is the age requirement for Transitional Kindergarten?
Your child must turn 5 between September 2, 2017 and December 2, 2017 to be eligible for our Transitional Kindergarten program for the 2017-18 school year.
How do I get my other questions answered?
Our website contains a wealth of information about our programs including many other Frequently Asked Questions. We would be happy to answer any other questions you may have. The most efficient way to get your answers is to email email@example.com. You may also call the enrollment line at 650-947-4100 and press 1 to leave a message for our enrollment coordinator.
Please be sure to let us know what grade level you are inquiring about and the current school district you reside in so that we can give you complete information if you are not available when we return your call.